I have read so many recipes for cauliflower crust pizza but was afraid to try it because cauliflower is one of my least favorite veggies. My dear friend Shereen inspired me to make this recipe when she posted a picture of her version on Facebook. Because Shereen is a fantastic cook and everything she makes tastes good, I decided to give it a try. To my surprise, it was absolutely delicious. The method of making this pizza is different from most pizzas because the crust is baked alone before the entire pizza is baked. The best part about this crust is that it is thin and delicious. In fact, after baking the crust, you can slice it into cubes or strips and serve it with warm marinara sauce instead of turning it into a pizza – that’s how delicious the crust is!
* * *
Q: What did Raman say on Valentine’s Day?
A: “It’s time to call E-Flower!”
* * *
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 ½ cups shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. freshly chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- olive oil spray
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. crushed chili flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut cauliflower into small pieces and “chop” in food processor. Once chopped, it should resemble a grain and not a puree.
- Place chopped cauliflower in bowl and microwave for 8 minutes.
- Let cauliflower cool.
- In a bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups cauliflower with the remaining ingredients (excluding the olive oil).
- Spray a pizza pan with olive oil.
- Scoop the mixture onto the pan.
- Pat the “crust” onto the pan into a circular shape.
- Spray the crust lightly with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Be sure your crust very thin and evenly spread so it bakes well.
- Remove the crust from the oven and turn the heat up to broil.
- Spread sauce, veggies, then cheese. *Add very little cheese since there is already cheese in the crust!!
- Place back in oven (on broil) just until cheese is melted and veggies are cooked (approximately 5-7 minutes).
- Take out and let cool. (It cannot be served immediately because the cooling allows the crust to bind together properly. After it’s cooled, you can re-heat it in the oven.)
- After step 9, you can slice the crust into cubes or strips and serve it with warm marinara sauce instead of turning it into a pizza.
* * *
* * *