Mac n’ cheese is an American favorite and frequently what I order for “bar food” because it’s one of the few vegetarian options. Thus, I’ve tried a number of different types – jalapeno, sundried tomato, and the list goes on. I love potatoes and I love cheese so naturally, this recipe would be delicious. Next time, I’m going to sneak in some Swiss chard and kale for bonus nutrition! PS. Age is important… only if you’re cheese. #Fact
SWEET POTATO & SPINACH MAC N’ CHEESE
Write a review
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 cups whole wheat pasta
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1½ cups milk
- ¾ cup lite shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated asiago cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup spinach
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, peel and cube sweet potato. (They are hard to cut so maybe ask someone strong to cut them for you, like I did :))
- Add sweet potato to water and cook until tender or for about 5 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Place cooked sweet potato in a food processor with ¼ cup of milk. Pulse until smooth and set aside. Mashed potatoes, anyone!?
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Mix together the four different cheeses and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter on low heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in 1¼ cups of milk, increase heat to medium, and cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Whisk in sweet potato puree and continue to cook until hot.
- Remove from heat and add 1½ cups of cheese mixture.
- Lightly oil casserole dish.
- Add pasta, spinach, cheese sauce, and salt (to taste). Toss until spinach is slightly wilted and cheese is mixture in.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until cheese on top is browned.