Mac n’ cheese is an American favorite and frequently what I order for “bar food” because it’s one of the few vegetarian options. Thus, I’ve tried a number of different types – jalapeno, sundried tomato, and the list goes on. I love potatoes and I love cheese so naturally, this recipe would be delicious. Next time, I’m going to sneak in some Swiss chard and kale for bonus nutrition!
* * *
Age is important… only if you’re cheese. #Fact
* * *
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 cups whole wheat pasta
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1½ cups milk
- ¾ cup lite shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated asiago cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup spinach
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, peel and cube sweet potato. (They are hard to cut so maybe ask someone strong to cut them for you, like I did )
- Add sweet potato to water and cook until tender or for about 5 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Place cooked sweet potato in a food processor with ¼ cup of milk. Pulse until smooth and set aside. Mashed potatoes, anyone!?
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Mix together the four different cheeses and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter on low heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in 1¼ cups of milk, increase heat to medium, and cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Whisk in sweet potato puree and continue to cook until hot.
- Remove from heat and add 1½ cups of cheese mixture.
- Lightly oil casserole dish.
- Add pasta, spinach, cheese sauce, and salt (to taste). Toss until spinach is slightly wilted and cheese is mixture in.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until cheese on top is browned.