I’ve been hearing about so many meal-kit services lately but haven’t tried any, although I did buy a box from Saffron Fix recently. My friend Rupa Badlani told me that she’d been experimenting with Blue Apron and that so far, although it took longer than expected, the recipes turned out good. Since Blue Apron posts all of its recipes online, I decided to try out a few recipes on my own. I first tried the Fresh Gnocchi & Maitake Mushrooms – my hubby really liked it and I thought it was good too but it was a huge pain to find all of the ingredients, especially the maitake mushrooms. I then tried the Chickpea Veggie Burgers and OMG – they were AMAZING! So amazing that we had them for dinner, lunch the next day, and again and again every day thereafter. Below is my review in detail including my modified recipe.
* * *
- For aioli:
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ of a lemon, juiced
- 2 basil leaves, chopped
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For patties:
- 6 oz. silken tofu, whisked until smooth
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas, mashed by hand
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. chopped shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- 1/8 tsp. salt & few spins of freshly ground black pepper
- For the burgers:
- potato rolls / burger buns
- toppings (lettuce, pickles, grilled onions, tomatoes, etc.)
- For aioli: In a bowl, mix the above-listed aioli ingredients.
- For patties: In a bowl, combine the above-listed patty ingredients, except for the oil. Using your hands, form the mixture into patties. My mixture made 5 patties. Note: They should be a little smaller than the size of your bun.
- Heat a non-stick flat pan on medium and lightly brush oil on the pan. Cook patties for about 2-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and firm.
- Grill or toast the buns. Spread some aioli on each of the buns, add the chickpea patty, and any additional toppings. My favorite is grilled onions.
- The patties are eggless but hold together SO well! I was very impressed.
- The recipe says the mixture forms 2 patties, but I formed 5!
- I added grilled onions to my burger.
- I used a pan for everything since I do not own a grill.
Thank you to my twinsie & fellow vegetarian food blogger Karishma from The Mess I Make for gifting me the beautiful props from today’s shoot!